Govt. College of Physical Education, Orissa was established in the
year 1957 with a view to spread Physical Education among the youth
of the state and physical fitness among the physical education
lovers. It took its inception in a rental portion of the Barabati
Stadium. Cuttack with 42 seats for C.P.E.D course only. Gradually
women candidates were included and B.P.Ed courses were added in the
year 1980 and 1985 respectively to meet the higher professional
training. The college continued in Barabati Stadium till 12.6.1994
and was shifted to Kalinga Stadium. Bhubaneswar w.e.f. 13.6.1994.
The college has been producing trained teachers in Physical
Education who take care of sports talents from grassroot levels in
the school & colleges of the states well as the country. The college
is affiliated to Utkal University and N.C.T.E. (National Council of
Teacher Education) .